Thread: Afghan Tabarzin
View Single Post
Old 20th March 2024, 12:56 AM   #9
Sakalord364

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobT View Post
C4RL,

I decided to take a look for myself so I did a google search using “viking axe head” as you suggested. While I did find some repros that matched the profile of the axe heads in this thread, the ones actually from the viking era didn’t match. I also did a search using “antique viking axe head” and got the same result. The closest match I found was the skeg axe but the lower projection (the skeg [beard in old Norse]) is far narrower where it meets the body of the head, comes to a squared off end, and intersects the head far more abruptly than does the Pashtun axe lower projection.
I have two Fokos (Ciupaga in Polish) and they look nothing like the Pashtun axes so I did a google search but it came up negative for a Pashtun look alike.
I invite all interested parties to duplicate my efforts and provide a link to any antique axe that duplicates the size and profile of the Pashtun axe head.

Sincerely,
RobT

https://historical-weapons.com/the-b...f-afghanistan/

Here is a valuable article written by our fellow forum member, that examines all of the various types of ceremonial axe heads used in Afghanistan. These axes were symbols of power likely owned by the elder of the tribe or village, this is probably a centuries old tradition and as expected the shape of the axehead evolved over time.
Sakalord364 is offline   Reply With Quote