Thread: Kindjal
View Single Post
Old 13th August 2006, 10:15 PM   #10
ausjulius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivkin
Well, I still think it is very hard to say where what originated. I never seen a definite data that would suggest circassians as inventors of dress/kindjal etc. I think all of these is somewhat of an obscure topic. Astvatsaturjan did offer no clue on these questions, I have high hopes that we will be able to get the answer from someone else - I have high hopes that Cholokashvili and other people from Janashia may go down to our level and say something on this issue.
indeed, still it is common knowlage amongst the folks here that the costume and shashka/kindjal and leather covered pistol brace is from the circassians, even in the 1800s the shashka was still not the most common sword in these parts,, and the shashka and kindjal forms derive from the same use of acrobatic riding techniques and aand weapon trichs of the north west caucasus , and these have spread down , not to say that the larger kindjals did not orignate in some other area,, ,
but the original costume of the other areas of the caucasus has changed in the last 250 years or so ,, and takes the aydge and circassian style,, originaly the mountian folks coustme was far more straterfied, and complex,,
the circassian costume is a simple military one ,
ausjulius is offline   Reply With Quote