View Single Post
Old 11th January 2021, 05:19 PM   #25
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Wayne, you are unique. You now perfectly that it is the translation engine that decided on such flaw.
The Spanish version:
Como prueba de su predilección por el cuchillo como arma de lucha, se cuenta que en muchos casos, durante la guerra entre Perú y Chile, en el momento de la batalla, los soldados chilenos tiraron sus armas y se lanzaron sobre el enemigo con corvos, luchando en el combate mano a mano".

I would also suggest that there are no crows or ravens in that hemisphere.
I acknowledge the avian 'crow' ref. is incorrect. (unless you are Portuguese -which you are), Is the Spanish plural for a Corvo Knife 'Corvos'?

I suspect from the racist reference to razors just before, it was translated into Spanish from some 19c English (possibly American) historian's mistaken crow reference. In the translated context 'corvos should not have been translated as if it were in Portugese.

(I was taking a rare opportunity to 'pull your leg' a bit too.)

I blame your Spanish neighbours for not speaking properly, like the Portuguese do. (The western part of the Iberian Peninsula has always been more independent and resistant to conquest and change than the peoples east of you.

The rest of the web page was interesting tho. I will have to keep my eyes open for one of the older less plastic modern 'tactical' ones like the one your soldier has in his belt. With luck, I'll get one with a blue grip.

p.s. look up "(Cyanocorax caeruleus) (Brazilian Portuguese: Gralha-azul, meaning blue jackdaw) is a passeriform bird of the crow family, Corvidae.
...". Scientists have decided it's NOT a jackdaw, but a proper corvid, er Corvus/corvo

Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 11th January 2021 at 05:38 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote