View Single Post
Old 26th April 2017, 05:38 PM   #22
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin henshaw
An interesting topic Jim, its a shame there are not more posts about Native American weapons on the forum, especially as so many members reside in America...

Here are images from Oldman's early 20th century Catalogue of Ethographical Specimens, that shows a Plains ? Indian sword. It doesn't look like just an old European sword ... I wonder if the early colonists in North America included basic sword blades in their native trade goods inventory along with knife blades, axes, spear points, beads, mirrors etc ?

Regards.
Thank you Colin,
That Oldman catalog is a goldmine! and while I don't have it, I wish I did.
According to Colin Taylor ("Native American Weapons" 2001, p.121) swords were sold to the Eastern Woodlands Indians as early as the 17th c. but these were usually held as weapons of rank .
Apparantly in other cases, particularly in 1820s onward, many swords, mostly surplus British M1796 light cavalry sabres, were sold in America. One key outlet was the Bordeaux Trading Post in Nebraska, but is unclear just how these were diffused, and trade was much more erratic than following set trade routes.
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote