View Single Post
Old 2nd September 2005, 07:52 AM   #20
Federico

I will note this, while perhaps not in his book, Bob Cato did note that high end Sulu pieces would often feature Maranao fittings, and that there was more connection between Maranao/Sulu kris vs Maguindanao/Sulu kris.

I agree with Zel, this blade has a more Maranao feel to me, at least if we are going by Cato. The trunk has the classic Maranao bulge that is the key feature in his trunk theory for Maranao blades. Also, to me the socketing work and lavish okir work strikes me more as a Maranao style, particularly compared to modern Maranao work, which I sometimes see in nice Sulu fittings as well. Whereas my Maguindanao kris with metal fittings have a more subdued okir style.

Anyways, on a historical level, the connection between Maguindanao and Sulu, during the turn of the 20th century would not be the greatest. One problem I have always had with the trunk theory, is that lumping Maguindanao as one big group takes no accounting of the separation between up-river Buayan Maguindanao (such as Datu Uto who resisted the Spanish to the end) and down river Cotabato Maguindanao (who capitulated to the Spanish). Some authors, such as Ileto, notes the differences between the two groups, by this time, were so great that they could be in some cases be considered two different peoples. Anyways, at this time period the Buayan Sultanate still had strong relations with other Moro groups, not to mention was in far better shape than the Cotabato Sultanate.

Very nice Kris by the way
Federico is offline   Reply With Quote