View Single Post
Old 15th February 2021, 10:06 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I think it was probably Aylward (1945) who noted these were of military dress type, but of course evolved from civilian dueling swords with apocryphal connections to John Phillip, a flamboyant Swedish soldier of fortune (aka Count von Konogsmark). Sword lore has 'colichemarde' as the French corruption of this name and presuming he designed the blade toward his penchant and fame for dueling.

It seems possible that 'the Count' was in London c. 1661 and proposed a blade broad at the hilt about half way down the blade, putting most of the weight near the hand, with the rest dramatically narrowed to the point for speed and dexterity. The early blades were of flat hexagon section ground down to achieve that profile.
Later versions seem to have moved to the triangular section blades on these small swords but keeping the broad blade heel to the center and narrowing to a point. Eventually the reduction to the point became gradual, forte to point.

While the colichemarde fell out of fashion for civilians c. 1730, the changes were not sudden, and the military through conservativism, tradition and awareness of the blade character, kept it . Officers had these options.

I think George Washington had a colichemarde, and others have been known with hilt designs of 1790s +

The black pallor on these did not necessary confine them to mourning events but were considered high dress and often accenting the embellshments.

Just some stuff I had found as I had been looking into these swords recently, and these are fantastic!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote