View Single Post
Old 7th May 2021, 06:33 PM   #6
Nihl

Update: it arrived this morning! I have to run some errands today however so I probably won't be able to take, let alone post, images until the early evening. Initial impressions though are that it's quite nice! It's definitely not a super professionally made piece (i.e. made by a super skilled artisan), but I very much like how rugged & functional it feels, outside of the fragile handle lol.

Overall length is 38.5 inches, blade length is 18.5 inches, handle 8 inches including the ear protrusions, with the scales themselves taking about 4.5 inches of the total hilt length (the part of the hilt you can actually hold is 5 inches).

Everything is surprisingly solid, and the only movement is in the metal collar that connects the handle to the scabbard. There have clearly been numerous repairs to the wood and ivory over the years, as you guys will see once I post pics. The blade is of an elongated diamond shape, tapering steadily to the tip. The edges are indeed blunt but the tip is still very pointy and interestingly there's a section of the blade close to the guard that actually was beveled and sharpened at one point, perhaps for utilitarian purposes. The scales now appear to me to be clearly walrus ivory, as there are sections that feature that characteristic warbled texture

Apologies if this update doesn't provide much substance for anyone to comment on, but I figured I'd just get my initial thoughts/observations out there. Close up pics and "review" coming soon lol
Nihl is offline   Reply With Quote