Thread: Ivory or bone ?
View Single Post
Old 29th August 2016, 04:50 AM   #36
Silver Shield

Cool Really?

It is put in a somewhat unconcise manner , but no frozen Mastodon flesh or Woolly Mammoths had been eatable since the first Winter in which it froze or there about , but in the field of Vertebrate Paleontology it has been know and published since about 1900 that the best preserved specimens the flesh was "jello" like , even the dogs would not eat it . All these tales where untrue , and only belongs in Fables and Children's Books, much like Snakes guarding the pepper plants in India . I mean try putting a beef roast in the freezer for a year , take out and defrost almost all the way and freeze for another year ect.. for 8,000 to 10,000 years . Also the Ivory of the Mammoth was harvested and used , their tusks where Curved but large in size and where used too , not just Mastodon, I think there was much more Mammoth than Mastodon, you hear every now and again about a new find in Siberia , and its always a Mammoth . Still in the early 1900s at least 100s of tonnes came out of Siberia every year . Seems to be a writers habit of publishing second hand information and perpetuation of Folk Tales .Ive handled some of these tusks my self , incredible condition, and I have worked with Fossil Ivory and its as good as Recent stock , but tends to be a light tan usually .
Silver Shield is offline   Reply With Quote