View Single Post
Old 3rd July 2017, 05:42 AM   #47
Chris Evans

Fernando,

Quote:
I was lurking in a Spanish blades forum how Spaniards untangle the ratchet riddle.
Thanks for the link. I read that thread and it seems to me that other than the wear caused by the ratchet teeth, they were engaged in the same guessing game as we are.

I found posts 4 and 12 interesting.

Re post 19: Gonzalo is right in that the popular sentiment was against the French; Whereas your translation, as I read it, is ambiguous could be read as let us go over to their side. Something like "let us attack the French....", whilst not a literal translation, would have conveyed the intent better.

Quote:
It seems as they don't possess the craking themselves, but what comes out of their brainstorm is that, while the technical part may consist in a handicap as, if the materials are not first grade, the scoops wear out and the safety becomes problemtic,
I am very familiar with this all too common problem, particularly with the cheaper renditions.

A well made navaja ratchet has the peak of the teeth slightly rounded so that it does not cut away the back spring, which by necessity is softer than the blade.

Cheers
Chris
Chris Evans is offline   Reply With Quote