View Single Post
Old 30th December 2023, 04:56 PM   #22
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

The reason I added the image of the tortoise shell material of a Chinese sword in the unnoticed post I placed previously was to illustrate the effect of yellow color highlighted with brown patches. Somehow it just seemed in line with the yellowish toned material here which is staghorn or buckhorn most likely (not sure of the proper zoological term) which has indeed been painted or highlighted ...
Could it be that the idea was to imitate the tortoise shell effect seen on some Chinese arms?

The elements of rococo decoration in the 18th century often included those of 'chinoiserie' (in the Chinese manner) and it seems faux material decoration was popular through the 18th c. While usually applied to steel or iron, the browning or russeting seems at hand in this example.

In Europe, 'orientalism' was in the height of fashion and popularity, and the curious talismanic charms and mysticism became well represented in the intaglios of themes on blades. The trellis type cross hatching and entwined vegetal decoration IMO has to do with that of talismanic devices and sigils with origins in Eastern Europe which came into France and Germany.

While it would seem strange that protective amulets etc. would be needed in the hunt, there was a good deal of danger from wounded and enraged animals as well as many other potential accidents. The invoking for success in the hunt was also a factor.

I agree this is likely from German states in mid 18th c.

The reason that court and hunting swords are so inherently difficult to identify and classify in these periods is that they were typically commissioned by individuals to cutlers who were jewelers and precious metals artisans. Thus more often than not they were essentially 'one off', though following popular themes and decorative devices.

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 30th December 2023 at 05:07 PM.