View Single Post
Old 11th October 2023, 03:45 AM   #18
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Regarding the terminology,
"...as you look at the many shapes and sizes of the material called 'tomahawk'it becomes apparent that we cannot separate items into 'tool' or 'weapon' categories".
p.1 "Tomahawks Illustrated" , Robert Kuck, 1977.

"...Indians must have realized the possibilities of the iron hatchet, not only ad a camp tool but a weapon as well, so the very earliest iron tomahawks were simply trade hatchets used in warfare".
Kuck, op.cit. p.5

I am puzzled by the consternation over the character of the metal in this axe head being carbon steel suggesting it cannot be over 100 years old. While not a metallurgist, it does seem that 'cast steel' has been around since 1730s in England (Im sure the schooling on the differences between cast steel and carbon steel will follow).
In my OP, the example of 'ROUND POLL CAMP AXE' 1700-1800 is described as French, and is virtually identical to mine, the measurements and weight the same as well as the features and shape.
So it would seem mine was cast perhaps from a mold of one of these early axes? but this could not have been achieved in the 1800s? Cast steel was being used for cutlery and chisels by late 18th c. but not for axes?

The four petal stamped mark is in the manner and position on head in accord with these typically so marked, and these marks are not deemed to any particular maker nor guild etc., the meaning remains unknown. In most axes in North American context there seems to be only about 32 consistently seen. I have been under the impression that by 20th century most tools etc. typically had the maker or firm name impressed.
The round eye seems more to older axe head styles from what I have read.

The four letter initials do not seem like a persons initials, more like an acronym for a group, firm, much as balemarks on company property.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote