View Single Post
Old 15th September 2020, 04:39 PM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce
G'day Jim,
As you say, there is plenty of evidence that the 15th Light Dragoons favoured this type of sword blade, but you can't rule out other regiments using them as well. The Royal Collection Trust have several examples marked to the 15 LD and also this painting of a trooper carrying a sword which does look similar to the one on the MDL website.
Cheers,
Bryce

Thanks for coming in Bryce! and exactly, my supposition would be that Jeffries' 'other' swords produced in 1759, aside from the 3500 basket hilts he made for the standard dragoon units, where these were for the 'new' L.D. units.
We know these were the 15th, 16th, 17th, 18th and 19th, but what they carried is unclear for this period.
What seems to be is that the 'light dragoons' were to carry a lighter sword than the basket hilts, and from what I have seen, they had a brass hilt with heart shape similar to the M1751 ? hangers.

I would venture that this painting is the source for AVB Normans identification of this mystery '1763 pattern'. We use the term loosely of course as there were no official 'patterns' in these times in G.B. .
Hangers such as the 1742 and 1751 were based on paintings of the troop uniforms of the types in use.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote