View Single Post
Old 6th September 2012, 06:49 PM   #18
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams Atlantia ~ Whilst I am flip flopping somewhat on the date ~ actually I shouldnt be comparing it at all with Persian as Dom quite correctly points out this is not a Muslim but Indian Hindu item ... I should be comparing it with other Indian examples. I have no reason to disbelieve the owner about the provenance and that as I originally put was about 1900 or thereabouts. You are right about the kola kuds condition ... It looks like it never got cleaned which some collectors adhere to but some prefer to clean up... after all, as a parade item it would have been clean for that purpose as is the nice helmet shown by Dom.. I would suggest a light wash/very light scrub with a soft brush in warm soapy water to remove the basic oxide that I think covers the entire project item... which will bring up the silver as well... and without losing any gold Koftgari .... I think this will help with the patina ... The inclusion of the elephants and Lions always indicates India especially with no Islamic inscription or geometry...
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Hola Ibrahiim,

As I said in post #6, It's very much like the 'better' pieces coming out of India at the moment often being sold as 'antique'.
I assumed people would realise I was saying it's Indian as Alex noted in post #7.

I can see the pictures Naborow has added in #13 now. they weren't showing last night for me, don't know why?
It does look to have some age on the inside, but that patina doesn't match the concealed areas of the outside, I must admit I'm on the fence about it as well.

Naborow, can you see anything inside the hole where the spike would have been?
Is there a hole in the bracket for the nasal guard?
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote