View Single Post
Old 6th September 2012, 06:26 PM   #17
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
Hola Ibrahiim,

We need Naborow to snap some more shots to completely put this to rest. My gut says modern, but I hate being the bearer of bad tidings without concrete proof so I hope I'm wrong.
I would like to see clear daylight pictures of:
Inside the helmet. Close-up on the top of the inside of the bowl.
Close-ups of the chainmail.
The nasal guard bracket.
The area under the nasal bar that cannot be cleaned.
And a description of what is inside the top spike boss.
A measurement of the riveted links daimeter (if they are riveted)

Best
Gene

Salaams Atlantia ~ Whilst I am flip flopping somewhat on the date ~ actually I shouldnt be comparing it at all with Persian as Dom quite correctly points out this is not a Muslim but Indian Hindu item ... I should be comparing it with other Indian examples. I have no reason to disbelieve the owner about the provenance and that as I originally put was about 1900 or thereabouts. You are right about the kola kuds condition ... It looks like it never got cleaned which some collectors adhere to but some prefer to clean up... after all, as a parade item it would have been clean for that purpose as is the nice helmet shown by Dom.. I would suggest a light wash/very light scrub with a soft brush in warm soapy water to remove the basic oxide that I think covers the entire project item... which will bring up the silver as well... and without losing any gold Koftgari .... I think this will help with the patina ... The inclusion of the elephants and Lions always indicates India especially with no Islamic inscription or geometry...
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote