View Single Post
Old 5th September 2012, 06:47 PM   #14
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
Namaste Ibrahiim,

Can you see any oxidisation in the recesses that would suggest an age of 100+ years? Like around the plume holders or nasal guard bracket? Looks like a little around the top boss, but again, not much and no signs of cleaning and the continual processes of care that an antique would have.
The only rust I can see on it looks relatively 'new'.
Sometimes these have a 'nut' brazed or welded under the top boss and the spike screws into it.
If it has a long traditional style spike (say 3-inches or so) you can then ship them with the spike removed. That means a smaller box, cheaper shipping, less chance of it sticking through the packaging and causing a problem en-route etc.
Might be an idea for Naborrow to peek into the hole with a torch and have a look.
Once we can see inside the helmet if there is no lining we should be able to see more.
I'm not 100% saying it's modern, but it does have that appearance at the moment.
More pictures will tell the whole story.

Salaams Atlantia ~ Your point about visible deterioration is accepted.. on the later picture I see some wear and general oxidation to the whole piece but I cant say how old it is precisely...The bracket I have it in is between 1900 and 1930 perhaps the back end of the Qajar period say 1920 though you may be more accurate with a later date. Trouble is we dont know what conditions it has been kept under... though the apparent history stated was early 20th C ... 1906 or that was when the family was in India from whom it was obtained.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote