View Single Post
Old 15th September 2023, 02:31 PM   #8
efrahjalt

Thanks all again for the additional pictures, info, and comments. I'd forgotten about that Matt Easton video, but the hilt of his example has a very similar cross, and I can see that the grip tapers toward the back like the wood core of mine does. This is somewhat offset by the leather being worn away near the guard and still present near the pommel, but you can still see the tapering beneath. His may be a good example to try and emulate in my reconstruction. In a couple shots it looked like there was a covering over the back that is partially worn away and slightly loose, but he doesn't really show it and the video resolution is not good enough to see it well.

Jim, you have confirmed my suspicions that these were remounted often and an original form for this particular example may not really be a thing, or at least not possible to put a finger on. Your examples will help me go in the right direction though.

Mine has certainly been altered, but I think the alteration is more minor that it may seem from the pictures. It is not an entirely new hilt. I can see that the original core actually seems very much intact and complete. There are remnants of the original leather and glue under the upper languets. The only addition is an off the shelf wooden ball from a craft store that has been sloppily glued to the end of the existing wood. I'll get a close up picture to share before I cut it off this weekend.

One reason I think that my example was likely a leather strip wrap (at least in it's last incarnation of a kaskara hilt) instead of a wood pommel with silver or other decorative wrap is I can sill see the nail hole in the wood that would have held the strips in place in the same way as werecow's example. I'll grab a better picture of this to share too.

Thanks again for the great images and info. Keep it coming. I'm think I'm getting close. I'd love to see some more examples of the pommel cover construction.
efrahjalt is offline   Reply With Quote