View Single Post
Old 29th December 2018, 04:30 AM   #11
A. G. Maisey

have you perhaps a picture of this kind of stick ?
this point is not a hook at all , no ring attach at the end.
More an icicle shape, or twisted horn ? cornucopia ?( ritual ? )

Maybe a spindle for spinning wool or silk I saw some made of iron
but why in silver ??...

The rod I saw that was used to move curtains also did not have a hook at the end, it had a bent or waved end, the same as your silver one, but the one I saw was made of wood. The bend, or wave rested against the round curtain rod.

A little way down from its end your silver item has a ring.

A little way from the end, the wooden rod I saw had a ring in approximately the same place.

To all intents and purposes your silver item, and the last 12" or so of the wooden rod I saw were the same, in fact almost exactly the same, except yours is silver, what I saw was wood.

I saw this rod in 2012 in a farmhouse in Tuscany, Italy. I saw the rod in use a number of times, I was staying in the farmhouse for about a month.

I did not photograph it, indeed, if I saw the same thing again tomorrow I would not photograph it:- household appliances are not of much interest to me.

I am not arguing for acceptance of my suggestion, I am simply stating that I have seen an object with the same design as the silver item under discussion, and that I saw it used a number of times for a specific purpose.

I have placed this second post because it appears from post #4 that my post #3 was not at all understood.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote