Thread: Keris Majapahit
View Single Post
Old 15th July 2006, 07:57 AM   #13
nechesh

Pak Mudi, translation of language is often inadequate. I have found translations for pusaka as "heirloom" and "legacy". You suggest that all it means is to "leave behind". None of these express the complexity of pusaka. The Western way of understanding this would be to just except it as "heirloom" as we understand it here in our culture. I believe pusaka implies more than that.
I think perhaps you are misunderstanding my use of the word "power". This is not to say that every keris pusaka has magickal powers, that it can do tricks, fly through the air or vanquish ones enemies. Power can be much more subtle than that. When any object is passed down from one generation to another it must accumulate the power generated by that kinship group, it's history, its aspirations and desires, its will to survive and prosper. To inherit these things is to be empowered by them. On the royal class level this power is perhap more tangible. We are now dealing with affairs of state, not just family. Of course a keris isn't just ANY object. It is created with great intention and treated with great respect, fed with oils and incense and prayers in the great hope of seeing these intentions come to pass. All of this is passed along with the keris pusaka from generation to generation with a general concensus within that particular kinship group that the keris pusaka holds this history and this energy. That, my friend, when passed from one generation to the next, is a transferrence of POWER.
I am sorry if i explained this inadequately before, but i hope you see my point clearer now.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote