Thread: Keris Majapahit
View Single Post
Old 14th July 2006, 09:18 PM   #7
nechesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudi
Pak Nechech,

My father Bugis, my mother Bali. So, I am in middle of Hindu Dharma di Bali and Islam. Or as you say Muslim. Indonesia founded as democratic based on unity in diversity. In Indonesia, some 400 groups of people here. We are young democratic nation. We have very rich culture and history. Orang Belanda know this best. Ask your Dutch friend.
So i guess what you are saying is that you come from a mixed marriage. Forgive me, but i was just trying to dtermine whether you spoke of the keris from a Muslim or Hindu perspective since i would image that there are subtle differences in the way one would relate to the keris depending upon one's spiritual beliefs. Still, i don't quite see how someone can be both a Hindu and a Muslim. I am very aware that you have a very rich, multi-layered culture and history. I am not sure who you mean by my Dutch friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudi
Why you ask about to display pusaka? For Indonesian to show pusaka we hope understanding of our culture. Many museum show pusaka. Is it bad when I show my own family pusaka? I am very happy my family keep many things. When I grow up these things talk to me as little boy. As man now they talk more.
Maybe these keris talk to you.
Please correct me if i am wrong, but i would think that keris pusaka that are in museums would no longer really be active pusaka. If they were they would still be with the families, wouldn't they? I would think that once in a museum the chain of the pusaka is somewhat broken.
I would never tell another that it is "good" or "bad" to place their family's pusaka (or anything they own) on display to the public. That is between you, your relatives and your ancestors. It just seems odd to me. I ask the question of you because i am trying to determine what IS the tradition about this within your culture. It has been my understanding that in Javanese culture it is just not done, that one's pusaka, though a matter of intense family pride, is never put on public display like this. The internet is not the same as showing friends and acquaintances who might visit your home. Anyone can look at these, even people you don't like or those who have animosity or ill will towards you. They can also take these images and use them anyway they like. This is why it seems odd to me. What i am trying to determine is if i am correct about the tradition of this in Jawa and if that tradition is perhaps different in different parts of Indonesia.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote