View Single Post
Old 20th February 2024, 06:59 AM   #7
Pendita65

Thanks David and JustYS,

i read the thread with lot's of interest and the results are very good especially both examples of restoration work. As i was trained as a furniture restorer and worked in the field for several years before becomming a teacher in furniture restoration in Amsterdam i know that a very allmost invisible result can be made depending on the skills of the craftsmen. We had a rule of six feet six inches, what is not noticeable in six feet and it can be seen with six inches distance was an ok job.

My problem is that most of the woods used in the creation of wronko are not available in the Netherlands, so we have to find similar looking woods, and then i only go for the right grain colour can be manipulated dark to light or light stained with dyes to the desired colour.

But i am interested if when the curved tip is gone if there are examples of wronko being carved to a slightly different form to keep the dress presentable. My goal is to visit Indonesia next year and would love to go out to buy different pieces of wood used in Keris and ship it to the Netherlands for future restoration jobs. Have to find out which woods are not on the CITES list as otherwise i will have a lot of problems too.

Thank you for responding to my question and have a nice day.

regards, Martin
Pendita65 is offline   Reply With Quote