View Single Post
Old 25th January 2016, 08:37 AM   #7
ulfberth

The hilt sure looks French because of the holes in the langets were the Napoleon head was when used by the infantry officer.
Looking at the top of the guard were the tang was hammered, when these two became partners, it look this has been done a few hundred years ago.
I agree this is not a freshly composite sword for economical reasons, but from the looks of it this has been done in the early 19th century, of course this is hard to prove.
Now pure speculation + sound reasoning:
I someone wanted to make a composite with this guard it would be better to use a model 1821 infantry saber blade, there are more easy available and it looks a lot like the 1ste Empire infantry blade and the resale value would probably be better, lets not forget that most if not all composites fakes etc are made purely for financial reasons.
So, yes this could very well be a re use of spare parts at hand, however I don't think the sailor would have looked at the anchor first ( collectors might ) the fast broad blade and the balance would be the priority ( I would think )

kind regards
Ulfberth
ulfberth is offline   Reply With Quote