View Single Post
Old 13th January 2022, 05:44 PM   #13
rickystl

Hi Gusko

Somehow, I missed your latest addition to this Thread. Glad I found it.

Your latest photos starting with Post #10: This appears to be another Boyliya styled musket generally. I say this due to the overall shape of the stock.
LOCK: Here again is the very popular Balkan style lock utilized with many different guns during this period. But yes, unusual to see the brass overlay on this style of lock. Unlike the Bulgarian style lock I posted above, in which brass overlay decoration seemed to be the norm, and more typically utilized with most of the Boyliya styled muskets I've seen. Also note on the Balkan lock it has the top edge of the frizzen come to a point like the Bulgarian lock. Both the overlay and frizzen just being a slight variation from the locksmith.
BARREL: WOW!! What a beautiful barrel indeed. Off hand, I can't recall seeing a musket barrel chisiled the intire length of the barrel - uninterupted. Very cool. Imagine how long it would have taken to accomplish.
PISTOL LOCK: You could almost guess that the chisiling on the Boyliya barrel, and the lock on the pistol, were both done in the same shop. LOL

While none of these guns are exactly identical (unless made as a pair of pistols), there does seem to be certain styling characteristics that were popular with a variety of customers accross different regions of the Empire.
Thus the similarity of the chisiling on the musket barrel and the pistol lock.

Rick
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote