View Single Post
Old 10th May 2021, 02:10 AM   #7
JeffS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ren View Post
一百之金
These four Chinese characters appear to be depicted. Can be translated as "one hundred of gold / one hundred of money". That's all I can say.
Thank you that was enough to get me going. Amazing you could decipher the characters. In general I've learned that these bronze disks can be a cash, charm, or token. The characters should be read top, bottom, right, left. The orientation of the clearest character (100) puts it at top, 百金之一 . If cash money it should have a dynasty symbol at the top which this doesn't seem to have. Charms would have a saying to imbue good fortune on the owner, many of these wish for a bunch of gold, so the one hundred of gold interpretation may fit. That would make dating the charm nearly impossible as these were made for over 2000 years. Also, most of the charms, if asking for wealth, we're looking for at least a thousand, not a paltry sum of 100 (even if we are talking gold). However, if the interpretation is "100 money" instead of "100 gold" then this may be meant to indicate a sum of money. This is what tokens were, and they were issued by rebel administrations during the late Qing Dynasty which, if this is a token, puts it solidly into the second half of the 19th century. If the Taiping Rebellion, which occurred in southern China (wild speculation but closer to Cambodia and much larger in scale than other rebellions) then it would most likely be from between 1850 and 1864.

Last edited by JeffS; 10th May 2021 at 02:25 AM.
JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote