View Single Post
Old 31st December 2008, 01:48 AM   #10
migueldiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferguson
Man, those look great! I'm so jealous. $5 for a good balisong? Incredible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUIEBLADES
Yes a $5 foot long
Hi Steve, Hi Lew,

Yup the price is unbelievable. In fact I have to ask the storeowner 3 to 4 times as I can't believe my own ears

But upon closer examination, the Taal, Batangas pricing of Usd 5 looks logical -- about 30 miles (50 km) away in the neighboring Laguna province, there's this roadside balisong store in Alaminos town (pics below).

I also checked out that store and they sell their balisongs (made also in Barangay Balisong, Taal, Batangas) for Usd 10 each (the veinte-nueve kind).

So it's Usd 5 if it's "farm gate price" right in Bgy. Balisong in Taal, and then the price doubles at a store merely 50 km away.

From Bgy. Balisong to Manila, it's about 120 km (70 miles) away. Am sure that in a Manila store that pays rent in a mall with hired storekeepers (vs. a mom and pop operation in the provinces with no rent & overhead to cover), the same balisong will go for anywhere between Usd 15 to 20.

And make the same balisong cross the Pacific Ocean, then I guess the retail price would already be anywhere between Usd 40 to 60.

Which perhaps is just right given that the crappy smaller balisongs sell in the US for Usd 10 to 20:

Video of a crappy balisong that you can bend with your bare hands!

More balisongs of the Usd 10 to 20 (local US price) kind
Attached Images

migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote