View Single Post
Old 10th January 2016, 08:50 PM   #9
Timo Nieminen

My usual rule-of-thumb is that if the tip of a weapon is thinner than 2mm for a few inches/5cm or more, it's designed with cutting in mind, and sacrifices strength in thrusting to improve cutting.

To make a spear with a cutting-focussed tip strikes me as unusual. But being able to cut well and easily with a fighting spear is a Good Thing. Also good for the head to be light, which also encourages thin. (It's easy to get "light" by making the head small, but a long blade is also good on a fighting spear.)

From a functional viewpoint, having almost parallel edges as one approaches the tip, and then an abrupt and short taper to the point, works with thin quite well. The width near the tip gives strength, and allows a thin tip. The profile of the blade might be functional design, rather than just fashion. (Compare with flared tips on swords that become very thin near the tip, like oxtail dao, the British 1796 light cavalry sword, many falchions, etc.)

There are cut-and-thrust swords made for the battlefield that have tips less than 2mm thick for the last few inches. Usually not much below 2mm (more purely cutting swords can approach 1mm), so comparable with this spearhead.

(I don't know what the local wild pigs are like. For wild pigs here, and in some other places, you probably want something quite robust. Perhaps more robust than you'd take to a fight.)
Timo Nieminen is offline   Reply With Quote