View Single Post
Old 23rd June 2007, 04:03 AM   #12
BluErf

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenangsangII
Hello all,

I agree with Kai that despite the panjang's use as a status wear and excecution implement, it's still battle worthy.
The keris panjang, in my opinion, is the equivalent of the ceremonial mace/scepter in European parliaments, and before that, symbol of Aristocratic power. We often see keris panjang in the collections of royal families, and they also find themselves incorporated into state emblems and royal family emblems. So the keris panjang is a symbol of power, authority, and maybe to a lesser extent - royalty (Which is associated with the former 2).

As an executioner's weapon? I suppose anything can be used as an executioner's weapon, even a lowly stone from the ground. Hence, the keris panjang could have been used as such, but it may be difficult to say it was the main purpose for its existence.

As a fighting weapon? Perhaps if its the only weapon we could get our hands on in an emergency, it would do. But we should probably consider "balance" in evaluating whether a weapon is suitable for combat. A keris panjang, especially the larger ones, are poorly balanced. The weight is in the top 1/3 or 1/2 of the blade (or the "foible"), and the tang is short, and the hilt does not provide sufficient counterweight. Hence, as a fighting weapon, the keris panjang feels "dead" in the hand. Grip-wise, the thumb and fore-finger must pinch the picetan and the aring rests on the base of the fore-finger. Its an ok grip if one does not move the keris panjang much, but in a fighting situation, the aring and the greneng, combined with the momentum caused by the concentration of weight in the foible, would probably rub the skin of the forefinger raw. Such a problem would not be so bad in a normal short keris because of much better size and balance characteristics. So I am of the opinion that keris panjang was not intended to be a fighting weapon, though it could be used in a pinch.
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote