View Single Post
Old 9th August 2020, 03:55 PM   #7
apolaki

Hi, Thanks for the insight! I have seen keris hilt with the pony tail and arm positions to the sides and thought perhaps it is a Punokawan, but the facial features looked more like a Garuda or Hanoman. So from what I gather, in general Punokawan can be identified more by the hair on keris hilts whereas Hanoman can be identified with tail and more ornate mahkota. What about Garuda, are there some identifying tell tale signs it will be Garuda on keris hilt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean
Most of the punakawan hilts which I have seen are from Bali/ Lombok and according to the Lombok expert EAN Van Veenendaal they depict the balinese equivalent of the Javanese heroes: Tualen (Semar), Merdah (Togog), Sangut (Gareng), Jaragan (Petruk), and Delem (Bagong).
The 2 common features on these togogan hilts are the tuft of hair above the head, and the ape-like face which could create confusion with Anoman (but Anoman always wear a tail).
These hilts are not that common and most of them seem rather recent, see one typical specimen from my collection.
apolaki is offline   Reply With Quote