View Single Post
Old 9th August 2007, 09:48 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I'm right with you Rand, I remember being completely fascinated with the Polish Winged Hussars, and have the greatest admiration and respect for these magnificent cavalrymen and the heritage they progenerated. It is most interesting that in the ranks of Eastern European cavalry were considerable numbers of horsemen from varying ethnic tribes and groups, and the very weapons they used had developed from or been influenced by many weapons which are distinctly regarded as ethnographic. In the Russian military, the shashka became a regulation weapon worn by Cossack regiments and in varying cases by other cavalry officers. The sabre used by cavalry regiments evolved from early forms of sabres carried of course in nomadic tribes across the Steppes, and through the centuries.

Naturally this perspective does stretch the idealized definition of the study of weapons classified as ethnographic, but as has been seen in other threads here, we often must make allowances that may enhance our overall understanding of various weapon forms.

In his book on Polish sidearms (I wish I had the copy here to quote), Nadolski wrote in his introduction a melancholy sentiment regarding a certain simple Polish sabre of troopers issue (the exact form shown here), and his fond memories of it. As he virtually dedicated his work to that simple sabre, he eulogized that it had sadly perished in the terrible flames of WWII.
I once had a close friend who had been in Poland at that time, and he too recalled his father who was in the Polish cavalry, and how passionately he regarded the sabre his father too had clearly cherished.

Such weapons deserve to be honored, just as the men who proudly carried them, and such recognition would seem to exceed any categoric classification.

Respectfully,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote