View Single Post
Old 8th January 2021, 09:42 PM   #7
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Congrats, that certainly is a nice example! I'd be very interested to see how this blade looks after etching (that will also help to analyze those 2 areas that you think may be repairs). I don't think the pitting distracts very much - it's certainly a good blade!
Hello Kai,
Thank you! I'll work a little bit more at the blade before I try an etch. Will post some pics where the two areas are better visible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
I have a really similar piece (with suasa ferrule) that is also thinner where the blade is wider and again thicker where narrowing towards the tip. I believe this is mainly due to forging a billet of relatively even thickness to different widths, something that can be seen with many SEA blades. I'm not convinced the thinness of the wide part has an important functional reason; one possibility would be to increase cutting ability near the sweet spot.
I think that the thickened tip area gives the blade some more weight to the tip and strengthening to a possible weak area. Just my guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
We certainly need more details from a wide variety of this traditional gasah/pira style. Since dating is difficult to begin with, establishing a reliable timeline might prove very tough.
Indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Could you add more dimensions for your blade, please? Will also try this weekend.
Will try it tomorrow!

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote