View Single Post
Old 9th January 2024, 08:23 PM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Interesting knives!
I had never realized that the Canary Islands were so instrumental in populating the Americas and Caribbean in Spains colonial pursuits from the early 17th c on.
Also I have had one Corvo knife for some time and knew a little of the history of the War of the Pacific (1879-1884) in which these were used with Chile against Bolivia and Peru.
Regarding the 'stacked' type grips, which seems an affectation from the Canary Islands which apparently had become a favored style on the Chilean knives, it seems the Canaria knives had blade shapes that were unique as the Chilean.

The Corvo seems to have evolved from the 'grape hook' knives used of course in the wine industry which prevails there. These deadly knives as described were often used by bandits etc. and were colloquially known as 'cutthroat knives' in a pejorative sense. The dramatic effectiveness of them in this conflict was well noted and they became produced for military use in larger size.

The images are my example, which has the gold metal inlaid dots in sequence, in which the symbolism or significance is unclear. I have been told this is an older (pre 1870s) example.
The other is of several corvo variations.
also added the canat island knife
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 10th January 2024 at 06:59 AM.
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote