View Single Post
Old 5th April 2022, 05:48 PM   #1
CharlesS

Default A Rare Sword Shown in Cato's MORO SWORDS

For collectors of Moro blades and other blades from the Philippines, the Baltimore show was a "bonanza!" There was a large quantity of Filipino blades there, and some supremely RARE ones. I was fortunate enough to get one of the very rare ones, and one that was a previous part of Dave Schmiedt's renowned collection. I am sure this sword had a name among the Moros, but I am not sure what that name was. It is not a barung; it's too light, and the spine of the blade does not have the consistent curve of a barung. The wooden hilt is beautifully carved in a naga, or serpent, motif with silver eyes and inserts down its spine. The ferrule is like one typically seen on a barung. This sword is the same sword shown in Robert Cato's book, MORO SWORDS (Singapore, 1996). the sword had no scabbard, but I would have to imagine that it originally had a scabbard similar to a barung, with its ferrule neatly fitting into the center of the mouth of the scabbard. Overall length: 25in./63.5cm/ Blade length: 18.25in./46.36cm/ Blade's widest point: 2.5in./6.4cm
A pic of the sword in Mr. Cato's book is attached. He also does not name the sword.
Attached Images

CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote