View Single Post
Old 27th February 2017, 07:05 AM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Jean Luc, I regret that nobody has responded on this interesting schiavona, so this evening I went through everything I could find on these swords. I was able to find some very good discussions here and other material from back to around 2003.
As Nathan Robinson has well noted in his great paper on these on my 'My Armoury', it is quite speculative in many cases in classifying these and dating them. There were many variations, and these were used through many European countries in addition to their more common association with Venetian mercenaries and the guards for the Doges palace in Venice.
They are even known to have been used in France.

From most of what I could find, this example would most likely be from around second half of 17th c. as the trellis configuration (basket, known as 'gitterkorb' , Seifert, 1966) is in the 'single mouse stairs' style.
With more incised lines in 'design' it seems beyond the often plain or rather munitions style bars of the more military forms.

These were often joined with many blade forms, so the schiavona term is for this style hilt and its variations.

This would correspond primarily to the hilt category #2 in Oakeshotts classification of schiavona hilts. The brass 'katzenkopfknauf' (=cats head) in brass (often bronze) has the oft seen circle surrounded by dots in relief. Here there are a number of variations as well, from faces and other features to a simple dome or boss in the center of this distinctive pommel.
The capstan button seems unusual as these pommels are usually peened.

There are various articles on the schiavona published, among them:
1. "A Schiavona Rapier", Claude Blair, JAAS, Vol.V #12, Dec, 1967 p.53-54

2. "Blankwaffen Schiavona" Gerhard Seifert, ' Deutsches Waffenjournal'
Vol.2 #12, Dec.1966, p42-47

3 "The Rapier and Smallsword", AVB Norman, 1980, p65

4. "Cut and Thrust Weapons", E Wagner, 1967.

5.The article by Nathan Robinson, MyArmoury.com

and of course others as well as many excerpts from auctions etc. online.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote