View Single Post
Old 4th April 2016, 05:18 PM   #15
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

As Jens has well noted, it is very hard to apply a distinct hilt pattern to Talpur use, just as with Sikhs, Rajputs etc. and particularly by region.
The images in the article illustrate some of the spectrum of hilt types which were apparently associated in these cases.

Here I would note that in a number of cases I have seen there are tulwars with this knuckleguard hilt which MAY have been attributed to Talpur use through association with this very article.
This is the kind of broad assumption which can often occur with simple example/image association from references and articles without further corroboration.

In my opinion, the 'open' hilt (without guard) seems more likely (as Jens has noted) for the Talpur use in this context, as I personally regard the open hilt as more of a 'court' or dress sword, which would seem more in place with these apparent presentation blades.

In this example discussed, as Ariel observed, the application of the material securing the blade is not consistent with methods of most earlier joinings, and I am inclined to agree this is a more modern instance
I recall the anecdote as well about hilts and blades being stored in separate locations to deter the acquisition of whole weapons in insurgences, but think personally it has more to do with arsenals use of imported hilts in refurbishing blades. This is the very reason it is so difficult to establish regionality in tulwar forms.

Ibrahiim, excellent book on Sir Richard Burton you note!!! and most pertinent in the case of this sword for further research.

Gernot, whatever the case may be with the present mounts on this sword, the blade on this sword is remarkably connected to the Talpurs, and the article and book Ibrahiim has noted would be excellent sources for your continued research.
Thank you again for sharing it here!!!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote