View Single Post
Old 4th September 2015, 06:56 AM   #3
MaharlikaTimawa

Default Kampilan exclusive only to moros?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Hi Maharlika, welcome to the forum.
Where is this quoted account taken from. It seems to have some slight inaccuracies as far as i know.
Firstly as far as i know the kris/kalis is not of Visayan origin and the swords i have seen that are sometimes called Visayan kris are only called as such due to their wavy blades. The kris is a Moro weapon and the Visayan are not Moro.
Also, while datu kris can have fairly fancy hilts they very rarely are bejeweled and when gold is present it is generally saussa, not solid gold. It is possible that this writer is confusing Moro kris with their Indonesian counter-part, the keris.
The kampilan is also a weapon of Moro origin, though i have seen Visayan versions.

Hello David, I got this quote from William Henry Scott's Barangay --Sixteenth-Century Philippine Culture & Society.

But to be more specific, from here:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...8&page=1&pp=30

My questions are concerned on how it seems that the weapons used by the more animist regions in low-land Luzon and the Visayans seem to lack weaponry more suitable for fighting as opposed to their more Muslim counter-parts. Even those of Islamic religion in Luzon seem to lack those same weapons and my assumption is based on possibilities of destroyed evidence made from Spaniards/Americans to keep the people from being armed.
MaharlikaTimawa is offline   Reply With Quote