View Single Post
Old 10th June 2020, 05:23 AM   #1
cyten

Default Tufek/Tufenk/Shishane Identification

Hello, long time lurker of the boards here but after coming into possession of this I decided to finally register. I'm excited to share what I have and know as well as looking to learn from you fine folks.

This rather plain rifle has a 31.5 inch damascus barrel with 8 groove rifling in .55 caliber. The bore is actually quite good with no pitting. As I've never seen a sling set up like this on any rifles of this sort, I believe the rings in the stock to be incorrect and probably a modern addition by someone who thought something was missing.

It has some period repairs, such as replaced missing bone/ivory inlays with wood, brass cap covering the tang, and some kind of fabric acting as bedding for the barrel it seems. The ramrod I believe is also not original as it is mostly unfinished wood and fragile. It needs some cracks fixed as well.

I'm hoping someone might be able to tell me something about the age and/or place of origin. I know this style of rifle was used from 17th century till 19th so it can be difficult to gauge. The hallmark on the lock is pretty worn but maybe it is familiar or legible to someone here? The hammer wont go to full cock and is VERY difficult to get close to the notch. EDIT: after cleaning the lock up a bit, it now easily goes to half cock and full cock.

I look forward to and am grateful to any and all information,
Thank you.
Attached Images

Last edited by cyten; 10th June 2020 at 09:02 PM.
cyten is offline   Reply With Quote