Thread: Shabriya
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2020, 02:18 PM   #11
motan

Hi Kubur. Thanks for showing me this piece. I think it is a nice piece (meaning one I would like to have), but then, I am a bit crazy for this type.
After a few years of research, I know a something about classical shibriyas, but I am still trying to find out when and where all these other types from about the same region were made, without much success.
Daggers with shibriya hilt and a dog-leg type blade are known to locals and most people think they are from either Palestine, South Syria (Syrian Desert) or from Jordan. The question is if this type predates the classical shibriya or comes from areas to the north of shibriya country.
Yours could be from Palestine, but also has many features typical of early Jordanian shibriyas, like the use of thick brass sheet, the decorative band over a horn hilt and the triangular pommel with a medallion and ring. The scabbard probably had leather and that is a Syrian feature, but the lower part of the hilt and decoration of the scabbard look Palestinian. In short, I don't know, but I think that your assessment is not far from the truth, though it may very well be from late 19th c.
Artzi thinks that this is a Palestinian type and he is an authority, but I am not 100% sure. I have added a few pics from Artzi's site described as Palestinian and also some from my own pics collection.
Attached Images

motan is offline   Reply With Quote