Thread: Shabriya
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2020, 10:43 PM   #8
motan

Hi Stefan,
I agree with all above. Very typical style for Jordan and for the period, so 100% Jordan. As Kubur mentioned, these were produced in relatively large numbers and brought back by British soldiers as souvenirs, but were also used locally. For example, the Arab legion had them as part of their standard attire, though they were not provided by the army.
I attached a few pictures. Sorry for the quality, but I stole them from the web and you can see that. The first is of an Arab Legion soldier in full attire, the second could be from the legion, but also a Palestinian rebel judging by the rifle, which does not look British to me (?) and the black and white headgear. In the third, there are soldiers of the camel corps of the Arab Legion at a social event. You can see different styles of shibriyas, some of which are older and others are contemporary with yours.
As for the dates, Gregorian date in Arabic numerals was the standard practice in the region after WWI. Hijri dates almost always come on daggers from the Ottoman period.
Attached Images

motan is offline   Reply With Quote