View Single Post
Old 5th May 2020, 12:50 AM   #24
gp

Default origin of the name Bıçak

Bıçak: knife EN[1] oldTR biç-/bıç- +gAk → biç- oldTR kınğırak (et bıçağı TR; meat knife EN). biçek/bıçak [ Divan-i Lugat-it Türk, 1070] Bel bıçağı, et bıçağı, kıyma bıçağı, kaymak bıçağı, pastırma bıçağı, börek bıçağı, bekçi bıçağı , kasap bıçağı. from oldTR[ Kaşgarî, Divan-i Lugati't-Türk, 1073] biçek: as-sikkīn [bıçak] (...) as-sayf [kılıç]; oldTR: [ Kutadgu Bilig, 1069] bıçaḳ tartma anda kötürme süŋük [bıçak çekme orda ve kemik taşıma oldTR bıçak/biçek kesme aleti oldTR *bıçġak < ETü bıç- +(g)Ak
Oldest source: biçek/bıçak "aynı anlamda" [Divan-i Lugat-it Türk (1070)]

The bichaq is a single-edged dagger of Turkish origin. It is widespread in areas controlled by the Ottoman Empire and its close neighbors.
The blade of this knife is either straight, holds a slight forward curve, like a short yataghan, or very rarely a backwards curve, like a jambiya.
This knife and others were made at the end of 19th century. They were often sold as souvenirs to officers of the Austro-Hungarian Empire who invaded Bosnia at the time. The principal centers of production were Sarajevo and Foca.

source of the above : costak.blogspot.com / date Friday, July 05, 2019
Attached Images

gp is offline   Reply With Quote