Thread: Philippine Bolo
View Single Post
Old 7th April 2020, 10:18 PM   #6
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up Kaolu hilt

Hello Yves, and welcome to the Forum!

Thanks for posting this very interesting example. The only thing that is definitively Tagakaolu/Kaolu on your piece is the hilt. The curious "ears" to the pommel are uniquely Kaolu as far as I know.

Attached is a picture showing various hilts from Bagobo/Kaolu swords. The oldest is the traditional Bagobo hilt in the upper left. In the bottom right corner is an example of the same form of hilt as shown on your bolo.

In looking at your sword, the edge appears to have a prominent bevel and I wonder if it has a chisel grind. This would be very unusual for a Kaolu blade as the Bagobo/Kaolu knives and swords have a V-grind. If it does have a chisel grind, then the blade is likely Visayan with a hilt from the Kaolu. Since the Kaolu live on Mt. Apo, a dormant volcano on the outskirts of Davao City, and a large population of Visayans live in Davao City, it would not be at all surprising to see a combination of a Visayan blade and a Kaolu hilt. That blade form is certainly produced in many Visayan areas. Overall, I think your bolo was a working tool, as evidenced by the many knicks and chips to the blade, rather than primarily a weapon. The humble, roughly carved hilt, would fit with that use also.

The scabbard may be Kaolu but has been decorated by another culture. The Japanese inscription suggests it was the product of a Japanese soldier during WWII, who perhaps adopted the bolo as his personal jungle knife or machete.

A very interesting piece. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Ian.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ian; 7th April 2020 at 10:42 PM.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote