View Single Post
Old 24th July 2018, 09:24 PM   #2
midelburgo

Up to now, I have located another 10 swords of this type.

1-Estruch Collection (Probably at Musee de l’armee, Paris, now).

2-Victor Balaguer Museum (Vilanova y la Geltru, Spain). A small collection with a room dedicated to the Philippines.

3-Musee de l’ Armee. I am not sure about the relationship with it but it surfaced in a Google search. It is not the one from Estruch.

4-From Fernando, in this fórum. I think that blade is also quite older than XVIIIth century.
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5952

5-Hunting Auctions 2015. It has the “No me saques sin razón” motto.

6-Inscribed "Viva el rey de Espanna". Brass pommel.

7-Constructed from a 1728 Bilbo, with brass decorations on the guard.. Also "Viva el rey de Espanna". This picture was hanged in a discussion at swordforum. It has a unit code starting with BsB, same as number 4.

8-My umbrella finding.

9-Ref 1-1700-F from Vicente Toledo recopilation. Pipe back blade.
10-Ref 1-1700-E Vicente Toledo recopilation.
11-Ref 1-1736-A Vicente Toledo recopilation.

Even when these swords share a group of distinctive characteristics. Lobated dish, brass decorations in the hilt, horn grips with silver covers… They do not seem to come from the same workshop. They rather seem to be current Spanish swords that have been “philippinized”. Possibly to become part of a local institution, militia or whatever. Some are clearly infantry, others cavalry. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 9 have a characteristic troncoconical pommel. Numbers 4, 7 and 8, at least have what seem like unit identification or rack numbers.
Some blades look quite old, some need a brass ricasso what is weird for Spanish XVIth, XVIIth or XVIIIth centuries blades. Other are just state of the art for the middle XVIIIth century.
The older hilts could be from the end of XVIIth century, the newer from the middle of XVIIIth century. The one I numbered as 7 seems like a modified 1728 model cavalry sword. Number 11 seems like the last gasp of this type, only the spiral grip covered in silver is clearly there. It has a number 1736, that could be a date. The work seems to be native for the most part.
Somehow I think the end of the construction of these swords and possibly its dispersal came when Manila was taken by the British in 1762 and occupied for some 20 months. Something of an ill valued historical importance (Cook travels for example used the secret Portuguese and Spanish cartography found in Manila in the occasion).
I have searched for similar examples still extant in the Philippine museums, but I found nothing. Probably the Japanese occupation and the battle of Manila destroyed whatever could be left Intramuros.
Attached Images

Last edited by midelburgo; 24th July 2018 at 11:13 PM.
midelburgo is offline   Reply With Quote