View Single Post
Old 17th August 2017, 01:40 AM   #2
Bob A

I have a sword closely resembling your D photo. (FWIW, your E is not appearing in the photo array).

Mine differs from the pictured example by having a very short hilt, with no sign of ever having the heavy, blocky pommel as seen on yours. Mine was described as "Azande" on Artzi's site, and you can see it if you care to search. The blade shape and decorations are quite similar to the photos of the Tetela swords I've seen.

I don't know much about the area or the blades, but I was enthralled by the shape of the blade. By the way, my blade is extremely thin and lightweight; it could be used as a weapon, but I'd prefer something heavier for social work.

There was a light dusting of red rust on mine, which I attacked with 0000 steel wool soaked in Eezox, applying and wiping clean until he active rust was eliminated. A coat of Renaissance wax was applied to prevent further oxidation.

Regarding cleaning, my inclination is to stop active rust, but leave blades as close to the condition in which they were found. My limited understanding is that the decision to clean, and the extent thereof, varies from place to place. While aggressive cleaning might highlight some design factors, and can improve the aesthetics of a weapon, that view is limited by the preferences of the person doing the cleaning, and might well be contrary to the original maker's concept. Less is more, in my opinion, at least until such time as I might have a deeper understanding of the item, and how it fits into its milieu.
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote