Thread: MILSCO klewang
View Single Post
Old 29th March 2021, 02:51 AM   #10
kronckew

Just a reminder that these were NOT the 1917 USN Naval Cutlass. (A 'real' USN 1917 is shown below on a red background) The ricasso was stamped USN rather than MILSCO(or HEMBRUG), and was actually mfg. by the USN themselves in unknown numbers. And never issued.

The klewangy ones were produced to the original Dutch blueprints By Hembrug, Milsco, AND Solingen (Like mine).

The USN bought their MILSCOs for use by the Marines, in the Pacific, as shown below. A Marine having a rest. There are two things a soldier does whenever he has the smallest chance, Eat, and Sleep, not necessarily in that order. (Not counting the disposal of waste products from eating. Interesting He is carrying not only his klewang, but a (possibly pre-)ww1 era sword bayonet for his Springfield rifle. No little stubby one for this Marine!

Cold Steel produces a replica with slotted head scale screws and a polished brass scabbard throat piece, Originals appear to all be blackened. They apparently usually had brown leather scabbards, not sure about Milsco ones tho. I would not put it past CS to have also used Phillips head ones. Their offering also was not initially distal tapered. The originals appear to have a much wider forged fuller too. The CS one has a narrower one that looks ground in. The pommel screw on my original is also slotted, but much wider and shallower. The Topic one may have been replaced or made that way by whomever made it. The Guard looks damaged and bent, leaving a wedge shaped gap at the pommel. As noted there is somethging wrong about the clipped point. To me it looks rather thick and possibly because it is not a distal tapered blade.

See also USN 1917 Cutlass

and/or
USN Cutlasses and Dutch Klewangs

(the M1898 Solingen one with the black leather lanyard on that site is mine )

They reference that the US Milsco ones were made with Bakelite grips, unlike the European made ones!
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 29th March 2021 at 04:09 AM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote