View Single Post
Old 24th June 2007, 04:26 AM   #16
BluErf

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenangsangII
Blu, I am not sure I understand what you mean by saying panjang is poorly balanced. From my experience in handling the panjang (around 16 to 18" in length), the blade profile which is (normally)thick at the base and very thin towards the tip, along with almost 3" long of the tang in the tapak kuda hilt, is very well balanced although less maneuvourble compares to pasikutan sized keris. Furthermore, all the panjang that I have seen are tempered about 3 quarter from tip to base, which indicates killing purpose.

Regarding the bahari, I thought it is a name of a steel / iron. It also means something very valuable eg. gold used to be weighed in bahar such as one bahar of gold.

Yes I agree with Blu that Bugis seamen would normally carry the sepokal keris instead of Bahari which I also agree that it is of Minang's origin.
Hello Penangsang,

Yes, panjangs have thick bases (sor-soran) which tapers into thinner tips, but because of the length of it and the comparatively light-weight tang/hilt, the weight still gets concentrated in the top 1/2 or 1/3 of the blade. The panjang is not a slashing/chopping weapon, so a point of balance in the top 1/2 of the blade would make it unwieldy.

Furthermore, the short tang and the tapak kuda hilt (which is usually made out of light tandok) is very light in comparison to a rapier/small sword guard/tang/hilt combined. So it does not provide sufficient counterbalance. Another point - I'm not sure if I've seen panjangs (old ones, not the newly made ones) with 3 inch tangs. The ones I've seen (without cut tang) are maybe 2 - 2.5 inches. Perhaps you could share some pics of your panjang please? Which region does the panjang come from? I'd be interested to know please.

It is difficult to explain in words why the keris panjang feels dead in the hand compared to the rapier/small sword. Perhaps the best way is to handle a real rapier/small sword to get I mean by good balance. The sword feels 'alive' in the hand. When you wield it, it feels like it can "jump" at the opponent when you thrust out, but it doesn't "pull" your hand when you reach the end of the thrust. When you want to withdraw, it comes back quickly. I don't get the feeling with a keris panjang. Maybe it's also to do with the shape of the grip. However, I do notice that my forefinger's base feels a bit hurt after wielding the panjang for a while.

Yes, keris panjang are tempered along much of the length. I have one that is tempered 80% of the length. Others half or 2/3 of length. However, tempering may be accord it some semblance of functionality, but does not mean it is really used.
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote