Thread: Ngadal Meteng?
View Single Post
Old 5th April 2023, 05:33 PM   #8
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by milandro View Post
I see this name used in many adverts, however the spelling variations may reveal many more hits.

Since it is used by so many different sellers this must have, at least in Indonesia, some meaning to the people there.
I am afraid that assuming the lack of response here bears any significance to the wide world of the kris is probably done thinking that the popularity of this forum exceeds its actual scope. I see very few people browsing the pages.
So what technology are you using to figure out how many people have browsed our site? This particular post has had 227 views late i checked. Most of our posts have views in the thousands. We actually have more than some truly very well informed contributors who participate on this page regularly. Some of these members have no interest whatsoever in stepping into the world of Facebook or other social media venues to discuss keris. I suspect that their input might here be the reason that you choose to post here as well.
Since the only links (which i deleted because they were commercial links) that you posted were from dealer sites, that could tell us about the origins of the term under discussion, so it was not necessarily a poor assumption on the JustYS's part? But the term does pop up in some non-commercial sites so it is probably something that has some more legitimate usage. Of course this tells us absolutely nothing about when in might have first appeared in the general keris lexicon. I, myself, am not a linguist and know very little about the Javanese language (we can assume that any terminology applied to keris that is Bahasa Indonesian is not in fact old. When this post first appeared i googled the term and did not find anything that could really answer JustYS's question. My online translators translated the term to mean "Denial of Pregnancy", but these online translators are notoriously bad at transcribing these languages into English. So i had hoped someone like Alan Maisey might come along with some information as he has a much better grasp on the language than i do.
I did find one source that gave the following description.
Ngadal Meteng: Ada-ada tonjolan besar, gemuk, dan tidak menonjol.
Again, bad google translator makes that "There are large, fat, and inconspicuous bulges." Though it translated Ada-ada as "there are" when i am sure that was indended to mean the ricikan of "ada-ada" which we probably all know by now as the central raised ridge of a keris blade.
I also found a brief definition and a diagram in an online Keris Lexicon. This seems to imply that JustYS had the wrong impression of the meaning of this term and that it refers to the cross-section of the blade, not the shape of the length of the blade. This is another page that also implies the term is in reference to cross-section of the blade.
https://bambangkhusenalmarie-wordpre...n&_x_tr_pto=sc (scroll to the bottom of this page)
Attached Images

David is offline   Reply With Quote