View Single Post
Old 19th April 2021, 12:31 PM   #20
Bjorn

[QUOTE=A. G. Maisey]

I do not understand Dutch. I have not the slightest inkling of what the text on the photographed page says. I did add some breaks in the text to increase legibility

EDIT

Hello Alan and Jean. As I speak Dutch, below the translation of the original text. The prose is not that good, but I thought it better to stick to the original Dutch as closely as possible.

Sri Gajah Waktra was king of the Kingdom of Bedahulu in the 13th century. Gajah Waktra looks very similar to Ganesha, but has a more human face.

According to accounts, Maya Denawa was an arrogant demon king, who possessed great magical power and considered himself to be above the gods. He destroyed the gods’ temples. His subjects were no longer permitted to perform ceremonies or to visit the Besakih Temple. Under pain of death, they were forced to worship him.

Under leadership of the god Indra, the gods marshalled a heavenly army and came to earth to punish Maya Denawa. Maya Denawa, however, poisened the drinking water and thus killed many soldiers. However, the soldiers were brought back to life by Indra by shooting a magical arrow into the ground, so that a holy well was created (the well of life and prosperity, the Tirto Empul at Tampaksiring).

Indra then sprinkled the soldiers with the water of life Amarta, which brought the soldiers back to life. Maya Denawa fled and with the help of his magical powers transformed himself into a statue in the shape of an elephant (Gajah Waktra). Indra, however, saw through his guise and killed him with a holy arrow.

The day of his death is celebrated twice a year in Bali as a commemoration of the victory of good over evil, the Galungan feast (or Buda Kliwon Dunggulan on the Bali calendar).
Bjorn is offline   Reply With Quote