View Single Post
Old 19th June 2021, 01:28 PM   #5
Edster

A Shade Tree Smith is a takeoff on a probably rural Southern US term for a Shade Tree Mechanic who would work on cars, rebuild engines, etc. under the shade of a household tree or other crude shelter rather than have a more formal covered shop with doors, etc. They were competent in a limited range of activities, but their tools were limited as well. Yes, a village smith.

I recall that the spear shaft was of a bamboo-type grass, but solid, not like the typical SE Asia bamboo basically hollow core sections separated by nodes. It's about the only material there that grows long enough, round enough and straight enough to make a spear shaft.

There are several small rivers in Eastern Sudan that drain from the Ethiopian highlands into the two Niles. I got my fishing/hunting/self defence spears in Sennar on the Blue Nile by the bus departure location, likely locally made. There was probably a centralized smithy that specialized in spears and put them out to itinerant sellers who peddled them at area gathering places and markets. The sword & knife makers of Kassala use the same process to retail their products.

Ed
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote