View Single Post
Old 2nd July 2015, 04:01 PM   #7
CSinTX

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I tried updating the images with better ones and it let me delete the old ones but not add the new ones. I will add them at the bottom of this post.

I did locate a poleaxe in the Wallace collection with a similar blade but of course it has the usual hammer instead of spike on the rear that is typical of poleaxes. http://wallacelive.wallacecollection...ype=detailView

Marcus, I do not have images of it before it was cleaned. It is my understanding that the haft was in tattered pieces. I understand the hesitation to restore such old items but sometimes I think it is warranted depending on condition.

Fernando, thank you for the great image. I guess to me, the difference is the curved blade. The halberds in your posted image have the more common straight line blade that angles forward. I do have another halberd that I got along with this one that is very similar to the ones in this image. I will try to get it posted soon. Interestingly, when you google search “Landsknecht halberd” many images come up of Landsknecht fighters with curved blade halberds so perhaps it would be a Landsknecht item. See image below-

Senefelder, the tip of the rear spike is slightly thick. I do not think most halberds of this time and design had the really thick “beak like” rounded rear spike found on the more slender Italian or later style halberds. The entire piece is thick and heavy duty likely reducing the need for it.

Timo, I will have to try to weigh it but with a replacement haft any number may be somewhat insignificant. I just know that in the hand it feels much heavier than the other examples I have studied.

Dirk, thank you for the fine example from the Wallace collection. It seems to bridge the gap between my piece and what we normally think of as a poleaxe.
Attached Images

CSinTX is offline   Reply With Quote