View Single Post
Old 11th June 2020, 04:58 PM   #7
Kubur

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyten
Kubur, thank you for kind words and confirming my suspicions of the sling rings. The one barrel band that remains is very thin and fragile, seems easy to make some more with a thin sheet of brass.
Are there any features that would tell more about the age or origin on a shishane? I've seen it mentioned on the board before that someone attributed theirs to being made in Kotor due to some special feature that I am not familiar with.
I proceeded by elimination: the Turkish guns from the 16th and 17th are very different (locks, barrels: Vienna booty for example)...So your gun has to be from the 18th or the 19th.
Please, note that your gun might have been used until the end of the 19th or 1900. As I said the rifles from the Balkans are very well known, the boyliya in Bulgaria is probably the most similar to your gun. The only thing to help for the origin will be the decoration, but i'm afraid to say that your gun is rather plain... I think your barrel is Turkish too. Can you post a photo of the sight?
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote