View Single Post
Old 1st July 2014, 04:05 PM   #17
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue lander
Thank you Mr. Ibrahiim for your comprehensive yet easily digestible context as always.

Does the somewhat atypical blade shape of my khanjar mean anything, either about age or it's regional origin?
Salaams Blue Lander, Excellent question! The shape of the blade?... thus in some ways the shape of the scabbard..though in itself that is a puzzle.

The blade is quite peculiar~ not only is it broad and flat and sharpened on both edges with a central ridge but it is curved. What I find more odd is its small tang and the use of pitch to secure the blade without pins. It is said that blades of this shape originated from a skinning weapon/ meat cutting blade. It makes sense to have a central strengthening ridge if the weapon is used in a strike or stabbing action so that the direction is maintained...and the point is reinforced by the central ridge.

I have not read a convincing support document yet on the odd shape of the scabbard which it is said could be linked to the shape of the bows of a dhow... or carries a hidden religious legend or could even be a further reference to the Rhino Horn...shape. I liked the latter potential link...but it is still one of those mysteries still pencilled into the margin.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote