Thread: budiak?
View Single Post
Old 27th November 2023, 12:21 PM   #6
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Kai and David,

This is a spear(head) (budiak) and identified by Yves as a Lumad example from Negros Occidentale. I don't see any reference to a Moro origin in what Yves or I have written above. It appears to have a socketed head, which is clearly not of Moro constructioon. The leaf-shaped blade is generally consistent with Moro spear heads, as is the lenticular cross section, but that's where the similarity ends. It's unclear from the picture if the blade has a tang or the pipe is a socket for attachment of a shaft. If it has a tang, then it might be of Moro construction, perhaps designed for hunting rather than for war. Krieger's plates show a similarly shaped broad blade as Moro in origin.

Ian.

Looking again, there may be some confusion in what Yves wrote: This a budiak or a spear from the lumads in the province?

I read this as an affirmative statement: This (is) a budiak or a spear from the lumads in the province (Since Yves is a native speaker, I assumed he was telling us that budiak is the term for "spear" in that province.)

Alternatively, one could read this as a question: (Is) this a (Moro) budiak or a spear from the lumads in the province?

Last edited by Ian; 27th November 2023 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Clarification of meaning
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote